Monday, July 11, 2011

Get Connected using Social Networking: Why it's important in promoting your art/business





"I don’t have time for social media. Twitter is a waste of time. Facebook is for college kids. These are statements I see repeatedly on forums populated by artists, crafters, and creative entrepreneurs. Every time I see these posts, I cringe. One, I see myself in those rebels against social media, because I used to think the same things. Two, I’ve realized how powerful social media can be for your business, and that it’s NOT going anywhere. Either jump on board or get left behind." 


I've been scouring the internet looking for some useful information that I think will pertain to most of you who are trying to go from "hobbyist" to "entrepreneur" (selling your art work).  After starting this blog and creating a facebook page for Art Play Today  I am convinced of the power of social networking.  As much as I've been fighting the idea, I'm even considering opening a twitter account after reading this great FREE E-Book,  9 Creative Women Share Secrets to Succeeding With Social Media.

This E-book contains a wealth of information on how to use blogging, facebook, twitter, flickr, newsletters etc...to promote yourself and what you have to offer the community that follows you.

I don't know about you, but I see a bright future ahead for me and using social media to build relationships will be an integral part of my journey to success.

What do you think?  Do you use any social media networks?  If so, which are your favorites.  Do you have any tips of your own you'd like to share?  If you find this post interesting, are there any other topics of interest you'd like to see more of at Art Play Today?  Share your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. More time on FB = less time creating and less time for real life and real time networking with people who can help you. Simple really. The world of FB is an illusion,smoke and mirrors, and if you post anything on FB it becomes their property - so much for tutorials you post and encouraging others to post photos of their work! Give it a little more time and it will be as passe as last weeks newspaper.
    Your time is better spent ensuring your blog, website, and etsy shop are high up in the search engines search results . THAT is what drives people (as in paying customers and serious followers) to find you; these are people who are interested in more than simply collecting "names" as friends in fake popularity stakes.
    But then I'm bucking the trend and prefer owning my own work, not donating the rights to it to a feral and uncontrollable internet site that may just be reluctant to let me have it back. And I'm fussy about my friendships, and paranoid about computer security. FB isn't.
    Depends if you are satisfied with 15 minutes of transient FB fame, or prefer to be taken seriously. And remembered.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Artplaytoday! Comments are SO appreciated! I look forward to hearing whatever feedback, ideas, comments you may have..
XO
Kristen