Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Don't Resist! Just Roll with It....the Unique You in all your Splendor and Imperfections!


I often struggle with procrastination, impulsivity, racing thoughts, disorganization, chaotic lifestyle and wondering why I have to be the way I am.  These characteristics to the "normal" people out there are considered a negative, but I say, at least for me in most ways, they are a positive.

Now I'm not saying that I don't WISH I had a more organized set of thought processes, or that I was one of those people who can get everything on their agenda done in a timely manner.  I REALLY admire people who can work full time, be involved with their children and family, and maintain their sanity all at the same time!  I find it stressful just getting dinner on the table, keeping my house semi-organized (that's the best I can do!), getting the laundry done....etc...you get the picture I'm sure, because even if you are not like me, I'll bet you know someone who is!

“It’s like being super-charged all the time. You get one idea and you have to act on it, and then, what do you know, but you’ve got another idea before you’ve finished up with the first one, and so you go for that one, but of course a third idea intercepts the second, and you just have to follow that one, and pretty soon people are calling you disorganized and impulsive and all sorts of impolite words that miss the point completely.
Edward M. Hallowell [author of the bookDriven To Distraction



And let me tell you, at least from my own experience, people like me feel guilty for not being able to "keep it all together", like everyone else.  This "guilt complex" is the downside, because it creates all kinds of anxiety inside and I worry WAY TOO MUCH about what other people think and how they might judge me, before they really know me.

But the struggles aside, I think to myself...the people who really matter will get to know me, will love me for who I am, and will admire me for what I do well.  And I do MANY things well.

I read an article today that really spoke to me, and I think could help other's, so that's why I'm sharing this link

Celebrate and Embrace your ADHD

I am a classic ADHDer, and whether you are or you aren't, if you suffer from any of the issues above, this brief article will give you more of a positive way of seeing yourself.

I thrive on creativity, my brain can spew ideas all over the place and when I finally pick one of those ideas, I can "hyper" focus on it and accomplish some really unique and creative outcomes.  I happen to like this about myself!  I have an enthusiasm for learning, doing and creating!  I never get bored because there is so much to do!  I can be an inspiration to others, and I have a lot to share and offer!

Sometimes I think that I need to find my niche or a specific "style" that defines my art, so that my art will be recognized as "me".  But I have to tell myself that there is nothing wrong with trying it all!  Experimentation, and ART PLAY will eventually lead me and I just need to go with it.  I might feel like making jewelry out of bullet casings one day, mixed media painting another, playing with clay the next etcetera....I want to try it all...AND I WILL!  And the best part is......IT'S OKAY!  Just roll with it....and embrace who you are in all your splendor AND imperfections!

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!"  Love that quote from the movie Forrest Gump.  It's the perfect description for my day to day existence.  No wonder I am a chocolate lover, especially the really chewy kind!  You get to chew and chew and savor the flavor! (don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but it does to me!)

1 comment:

  1. wow that is so much like me-I can focus on one thing for about a week then I see another cool thing and try that too. I can't say I just paint or sew or do jewelry-I want to do it all!
    Maybe that we all are like that to be creative.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Artplaytoday! Comments are SO appreciated! I look forward to hearing whatever feedback, ideas, comments you may have..
XO
Kristen